Go Bottom

Can you install Duel tires on a compact

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-14          5059

The Original question had been brought up about which tires on a compact work better for mowing steep hills. Next question:Can you install duels on a compact? What about for "wet spots" in pastures?We were just talking about one of our buddies, who's truck with Wide, worn out M/T's had no problems going through this particular "wet" section, while a truck with New Super swampers dug in and got really stuck. Hummmm.... Is wider sometimes better? Makes sense, since I see guys planting corn and soybeans with duels.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-06-14          5089

I have seen advertising literature from the Unverfurth Company in Kalida, OH, that shows duals on a JD 855. Unverfurth makes specialty wheels, rims, and mountings for agricultural tractors. ....

View my Photos
Keith

1999-06-15          5108

Wonder if they make something for the 750?? If so, they have a web presence? Or at least, can you provide a phone number? Thanks!Keith ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-06-15          5116

Unverfurth Manufacturing phone number is 419-532-3121. ....

View my Photos
cgranat

1999-06-15          5127

I have a '76 Yanmar YM240; the manual has a dual wheel adapter as a factory optiion. ....

View my Photos
Al Johnson

1999-06-15          5152

Unlike big tractors which typically have duals that mount to an extended axle compact tractors will have to be banded together thus increaseing the stress on the hub which is cast iron. I have made duals by having a sheet metal shop roll a rig of flat stock usually 1/4" by 3" to act as a guide to align the two wheels. I would then use large bolts to bolt the two rims together. This works well but I have broken many tractor hub becuse of the increased stress. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-16          5190

Hey Al,What are you doing with your tractors that you have broken MANY hubs?I thought duels were used mainly for floatation purposes. And if you have broken many hubs, what requires duels, that you are still using them, knowing you'll probably be replacing the hubs soon? I'm curious, guess I never heard of this problem before. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-06-17          5228

In the early 1980's our local Yanmar dealer installed dual turf tires on aYanmar 186D that was to be used for mowing on steep side hills.I never did see the machine, but he said that it was about as wide as long....and that it worked out well. As an aside, it has been close to 15 years since new Yanmars have been sold inthis country and it is amazing how well they have held their value. Looking atthem as a mechanical engineer, I see a lot of things about theYanmar design that are impressive. Roger L ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login