Go Bottom

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-10          68391

What's the difference between R3 turf tires and Galaxy tires? I don't need turf tires but am curious.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-10          68416

From the pics I have seen, the galaxy tire looks like a knobby aircraft tire. It has a rounded balloon profile and uses a very small rim in relation to it's overall size.

The only places I have seen them used are on golf courses and sandy beaches. ....

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
harvey

2003-11-11          68450

I may be thinkin about the older knobby tires? Large dia rims but narrow?

Me thinks the rubber compounds are way different also. We had lots of those kind of tires on broom tractors and a couple of other pieces of equipment. They have minimal flex and the rubber is hard as nails.

There is a very special turf tire for golf courses mostly. ....

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-11          68457

I must have slept in that part of the class. I know what R-3 rice and cane ag tires are. ....

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-11          68470

From the Deere web site:

Turf Special tires are designed and built for golf course applications. The Turf Special offers the widest footprint possible without going to costly tires and wheels. Made with the most solid-to-void ratio of any golf course tire, thus giving the least weight per square inch. Built especially flexible and soft with rounded shoulders so as not to cut the turf. The Galaxy Turf Special tires are made with the highest-grade, longest-wearing type of rubber compound in order to yield the longest life.

They are mounted on 16.1 inch rims (rears) and are a $1600 option for the 4210,4310 etc.

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-11          68473

That explanation certainly jives with the pictures in the Deere literature. The lugs on the galaxies are similar in shape to the R3s, but are more densely packed on the tire carcass. ....

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-11-11          68477

Mark, when you mention option price, is that the price to outfit a tractor that you already own with these tires, or is that what they charge when you are equiping a new tractor? I don't know if they include some basic tire in the base price. ....

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-11          68481

I always thought "R3" referred to any tire which was designed for LGP (Low Ground Pressure) and minimum disturbance of the ground, in other words bare minimum tread to do the job without shredding or burying itself.

Best of luck. ....

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-11          68482

AC, I went through the JD price configurator for a JD MFWD 4310 and it showed the Galaxy tires as a $1200 upgrade over the standard R1s (which are included in the base price).

The nomenclature is a bit fuzzy. I've learned to think of R3s as turf tires too, but JD literature shows R3s and Galaxies as two separate tire options. I learned with a little googling that Galaxy is the manufacturer name (you probably knew that already!) ....

R3 vs Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Cracker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-06          87871

I've got the Galaxy tires on my 4400 and I love them as far as mowing goes they just can't be beat. I also push snow with them and it's a little harder but with 6 to 8 inches at thje most I've had good luck with them. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login