Go Bottom

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-03          70210

When I bought my B-7800, I also purchased tire chains for my R-4 tires. The cross chains are every two links to prevent them from going into the tread of the tire and rendering the chains useless. I noticed that I didn't get any tightners with the chains. On my B-7200 they sold me tightners with the chains. Do I need to use tightners and if so, what type of tightner should I use? It doesn't seem like the tightners used on cars are heavy enough. On my old man's Massey Ferguson we took a large washer and drilled holes around it and used old trampoline springs for tightners and they worked pretty good. I may just use the same type setup on mine as Huricane Isabel destroyed my little girl's trampoline and thus I have extra springs!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-03          70217

Your rear tires fall within an automotive size range on that model.

It would seem like you could go to an autoparts store and get something that would work. Even short rubber bungee's would work. ....

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-03          70221

I'm not sure if rubber bungees would hold them. The chains probably weigh about 75 pounds each, maybe more!!!

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-03          70224

Rubber bungee cords will work, however in extreme cold they are likely to snap.

Poly-type rope tied 'spider-web' fashion works well also, and it seems to hold up fairly well.

I went with a (truckless) friend to pick up a walk-behind type snowblower he just bought at lunchtime today. I wished I had my camera.

The guy he bought the blower from had made a set of 'chains' for his tractor, out of 1.5" NYLON ROPE.

He claimed he did it because the steel chains chewed up his paved driveway and he only had a 2WD tractor so he needed extra traction.

I asked him how they worked and he said they were as good as anything else, he claimed he got a full season out of them, and might get a second season, but the rope was so cheap he just made a new set every fall.

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-03          70225

Sounds like the rope would be easy to repair!!!!
Maybe you should try them on your new fleet Murf!!!! ....

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-03          70229

There's a very long list of things we CANNOT put on our units according to the contract.

Chains of ANY kind are at the top of that list.

Some of the other no-no's are back-up alarms, rigid plow blades (sprung only), revolving beacons (strobes only), and rear facing white lights unless the vehicle is actually moving in reverse.

They will however pay for a tow truck if we get stuck.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login