Go Bottom

Truck Tires on a CUT

View my Photos
acerguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-08          88046

It looks like I will need to replace the turf tires on my JD 4100 sometime soon. Currently on the rear: 315x75D-15; on the front: 23x8.50-12.

Since I just got the tractor, the use has exclusively been mowing (and it works great with the 60" RMM!). My anticipated use will be (in order of importance and frequency): mowing, snow removal, firewood/woods work, gravel road maintenance, tilling and FEL work.

Because of the amount of mowing I do, I would really rather not go with AG-type tires. Also, because of the woods work, I would prefer something with some more floatation. Is there any reason not to go with a "super swamper" type tire? They would appear to have plenty of load rating for my light tractor and any amount of reasonable ballast I might use. Also they are available in appropriate sizes and have an aggressive yet "smooth riding" tread.

And what about on the front? The current turf tires don't have a very aggressive tread pattern and are pretty worn. I could go with R4's but any other ideas? ATV tires are plentiful in this size but lack the load rating (at least at the low pressures recommended for ATV's) Any suggestions?

Link:   Super Swamper

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Truck Tires on a CUT

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-08          88050

Check out my pics: 2, 6-7-8. ....

Truck Tires on a CUT

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-06-08          88054

Neat. What kind of tires are those? ....

Truck Tires on a CUT

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-08          88096

The fronts are a Firestone turfs with the same numbers as your tires: 23x8.50-12. The rears are a run of the mill, mud and snow radial sized to match the fronts.

This setup provides a +5 percent lead on the front axle with 4wd engaged.

The only good way to do this is to find front tires that you like and then match the rears.

Wide, heavy duty, 12 inch tires are pretty scarce. I can only find turfs and R-4's.

There are dozens of tires that will match up on the rear in 15, 16 and 16.5 rim sizes. ....

Truck Tires on a CUT

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-06-08          88111

Yeah, if only there were some of those ATV tires with higher load ratings! Thanks for your help! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login