Go Bottom

What size winch

View my Photos
K AM
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-16          49373

I have a 24ft deckover trailer rated for 10,000#.What size model and kind would be good? I have no experience with winches.I want to be able to load something as heavy as a 1 ton crewcab dually.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What size winch

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-03-07          50734

My thoughts are for the most uses approach, get at least a 10000# winch and mount a receiver and wiring leads to front and rear of truck and also on the front of the trailer. Then you can slip the winch in any of the locations and load the trailer or pull the truck out from front or rear all with one winch. While also being able to store the winch when you don't need it. If you don't need to pull your truck out ever than just go with the rear setup and trailer mount since most trucks already have a receiver in the rear anyway. With the trailer hooked to the truck the winch can pull something up on the trailer. ....

What size winch

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-03-07          50735

They say to get a winch 1 1/2 times the weight of the vehicle you are trying to get loaded or unstuck in most 4x4 applications. I should have answered the original ?. Make sure your charging system is up to the task as winches draw a lot of juice. ....

What size winch

View my Photos
K AM

2003-03-08          50785

Ruger454 Thanks for the ideas on the winch mounts and the heavier winch makes since also.I will start my search for one soon Thanks K AM ....

What size winch

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2003-03-14          51172

Having had five or so Warn winches in my offroading days, experience says you could get away with an 8,000lb. with a snatch block which bring it up to 16,000 minus 10% for friction at the snatch blcok, however a 10,000 alone will be perfect (most wreckers use 10,000). Personally I wouldn't bring high amperage power to the rear of the towing truck for many reasons: safety, without a fused/shutoff at the battery (otherwise always-on) in a collision that wire becomes a big, glowing, fire starter. Cost: cable large enough to carry that kind of power will cost $2-$3 a foot (most winches I have used draw as much as 475 amps at full load). Cost: Every 1,000lbs of pull costs about $100-$200 depending on mfg.. Practicality: One good pull with or without the engine running will literally kill an engine/battery (I had a full size truck stuck in mud with an 8,000 and a snatch block and it killed the engine three times--only running it full throttle kept it running). The best and cheapest way is buy two 1,000 CCA batteries and fasten them to the trailer along with the winch. Use the low-amp power from the trailer wiring connector to trickle charge the batteries when not in use. ....

What size winch

View my Photos
KenAmr

2003-03-17          51363

Jeff good advice on the hot cable in case of an accident.
Thanks,Ken ....

What size winch

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-17          51365

Remember, you are dealing with a rated rolling load, not a dead weight load on most winches. If something is stuck that weighs 8000 lbs, a 10000 lb winch may not do it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login