Go Bottom

Grass catcher

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-23          163592

After toying with the idea of a home made grass bagger trailer I ran onto a used bagger that fit our mower. I had never realized how great clippings work for garden mulch. The hoe almost is obsolete, plus the lawn looks neater too. We have an acre and a half of lawn here at the farm so there are clippings by the truckload almost.
So far radishes, onions, lettuce, turnips, and the peas and snap beans will be ready in a couple days. This sure took the drudgery out of gardening for me plus the cushon of the clippings is lots easier on the knees. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Grass catcher

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-24          163607

It works well Frank, we compost a lot of grass clippings ourselves.

Just remember that grass clippings are very high in nitrogen, so keep an eye on the balance of that garden soil, you will probably need to add a lot of carbon based mulch in there to even it up.

Also bear in mind that by collecting the clippings off the lawn, you are also taking a lot of nitrogen out of the lawn, and you will need to make that up too.

Best of luck. ....

Grass catcher

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-06-24          163612

OK, thanks Murf. ....

Grass catcher

View my Photos
pony976

2009-12-16          167539

All my lawn business collections go right into the garden. Grass all summer long. Leaves in the fall and spring to even things out. This layering has made owning a tiller almost a waste of shed space. The only time it comes out is when I want to make the garden bigger or for new bed installs. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login