Go Bottom

Electric Tractors

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-05          120418

Since these folks are in my neck of the woods I feel a responsibility to post the link. It is interesting what creative people can come up with. Looks like this will only work for limited applications.

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Electric Tractors

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-05          120420

Interesting!

It seems you would have to re-invent too many wheels here with all the battery and electric motor technology available from golf carts.

I'll bet it slows down a lot on cold mornings. ....

Electric Tractors

View my Photos
s chrand
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-05          120426

For a small hydrostatic tractor like my BX, this would make even more sense I would think. Quiet, and likely just as much power. I'd look into it if my engine ever dies. It should be a very straight forward conversion.
David ....

Electric Tractors

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-12-05          120427

I'm sure that batteries and electric motors have improved a lot recently but about 15 yrs. ago one of my parents neighbors had an electric riding mower. It was kind of neat, no noise other than the blades, no gasoline to handle, but the cost of batteries and cables really killed it. I no longer remember the brand or how many batteries it took, but I do remember the neighbor telling Dad that he spent almost a thousand dollars on new batteries and cables when it was three years old. I'm sure this technoligy will get much better in time, but the energy still has to come from somewhere whether it's coal to make the electric tractor run or gas in the tank. Frank. ....

Electric Tractors

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-05          120429

Frank, the interesting thing that this guy does is use solar panels in the field on pallets to recharge the batteries during down time. He does admit that the cost of the solar panels undermines the return on investment for his idea. It is not economical - but amazing that a 50 year old tractor can be converted to electric - recharged with solar - and still get useful work done. Joe ....

Electric Tractors

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-12-05          120431

ncrunch32. I didn't follow up well enough on this before I made my first comment so I was unaware of his using solar panels for a power source. I don't know much about the progress on lower cost more effecient solar panels, but surely someone is going to have a breakthru someday. Thank you for telling me the rest of this mans story, looks like we should encourage him in his efforts. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login