Go Bottom

Quote Punctuation Converted to Measurement

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-29          121867

Sometimes if I use quote punctuation in Tractorpoint it gets converted to the words "inches and feet". How do I avoid this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-29          121870

If I understand you correctly, often you can precede special characters with a backslash so systems interpret the characters literally. Not sure if that works here, but I haven't noticed the problem you refer to. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-29          121872

I've noticed that before too. Here's a "test."
Dave ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-29          121873

That was without any backslashes to I guess it doesn't convert anymore.
Dave ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-29          121875

It doesn't convert on posts or replies. It DOES convert on photo text. My pic #20 - "She foot s the one" appears instead of "She's the one". I tried the backslash before and after ( /'/ ) but that gave me ( / foot / ) also.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-29          121876

That looks like a forward slash /. I meant the backslash . The DOS style directory slash vs. the unix style forward slash /. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-12-29          121880

I own this problem, since I pass your Photo content around a bit escaping the quotes was giving me a headache so as a hack I just converted it to feet or inches, not perfect of course. I will look at fixing this in the future.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-29          121881

"It doesn't convert on posts or replies. It DOES convert on photo text."

Now I remember. That's where I saw it before. :)
Dave ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-29          121885

Ahh, the "how many escapes do I need to have" problem. I know it well. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-29          121886

Thanks guys - just thought maybe I was the only one on the site who didn't know how to override the conversion. For now I will just ommit the quotes. Ken - yes I always screw up "forward slash" from "backslash". When I was first starting out with Fortran I had the most difficult time distinguishing 0 from O. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-29          121891

I can never tell a zero from the letter O unless the zero is slashed. It's frustrating trying to enter a 16 character software license when those two characters are confused. As far as forward/backward slashes I have a memory trick for those. If the slash was a little man walking left to right he would either be leaning forward or leaning backward. It really bugged me when DOS used the wrong slash for directories and I confused them for a long time. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-29          121897

Ken, I beg to differ. It was UNIX that used the "wrong" direction. :)
Dave ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-29          121899

Dave, only problem with that argument is UNIX predates DOS :) UNIX got it's start way back in 1969 when Ken Thompson wrote a the first version on a PDP-7. QDOS was written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products in 79 and sold to MS in 1980 and renamed DOS. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-29          121900

kw,

just to be sure it was not this Ken Thompson who wrote that.

kt ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-29          121901

Are you sure? I'm sure the author of UNIX liked tractors too! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-29          121906

kw,
Is that what you think he spent his money on? Could be.

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-29          121911

Ken, as you know, it wasn't much of an argument. :) UNIX is so much more powerful. I didn't know that it originated in the sixties.

I still do command line compilation in Unix on an almost daily basis. But now it's some crazy mix of Linux and Unix machines needed to compile the executables that run our MRI scanners.
Dave ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-29          121922

KT, It's funny. They call the area around here the Silicon Forest since Intel and other high tech companies are big here. Many of the Intel guys I know are buying property in rural areas and getting tractors, so high tech and tractors seem to go well together. The odds are good that the other KT likes tractors :)

Dave, you're right. Unix is much more powerful that anything MS has put out. It is disturbing when marketing trumps technology. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-29          121930

Anyone here ever hear of APL (A Programming Language)? A pure mathematical vector language which utilizes a special keyboard. And you read it from right to left. I worked with that for a while.

It used to be pervasive at IBM but now none of the young people there never heard of it. More then 50% of people at IBM now have less than 5 years with the company. All my recent work has been done in SAS (Statistical Analysis System). ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-29          121935

I did a little APL in comparative language classes. It sure is a funny language with all the unique characters. The hardest to understand for me was Forth though. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-30          121966

As to marketing being stronger than the truth is not only in computers.

It began in DC. Or at least it was/is being fine tuned there. If limited to there we would be okay, now it is everwhere it seems. If you are fortunate enough to have lived when you could trust someone's word you may realize what has been lost.

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-12-30          121970

Ken, nice to know that someone else has been introduced to APL. The last I knew there were a few pockets of people in Wall Street that used APL. Other than that, I think it has been on its way out for a while. Forth, huh? I see it on the web but never heard of it before. You obviously are on the leading edge :) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-30          121976

I wouldn't call Forth leading edge. I was introduced to it in school and never had a need to really learn it. Then while writing some new instrumentation code for a customer they gave me some old Forth source code that implemented some of their proprietary algorithms. It was no fun figuring that mess out. Some silicon manufacturers used to make processors that were called "forth engines" specifically designed to handle forth. It's a shame these days that most everything is C/C++. I miss choosing the best language for the job at hand. C is poor in several areas and C++ is just a mess. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-12-30          121981

Ncrunch32 - BTW SAS has dropped the acronym - it's now just SAS - doesn't stand for anything. Happy programming and don't forget your semicolon - happy new year;
run;
quit; /*for the enitire weekend*/ ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login