Go Bottom

Chinese tractors

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-07          125703

This may cover more than China but if tractors from there sell for a lot less than any where else, how do you expect them to have the same quality of some the higher price brands? Is it they can sell for less or they must sell for less? Could it be true they can sell for less because they are worth less?

Not saying they can not serve a need, but the same quality just a better price? Am I missing the real world here?

Have never owned a KIA or BMW but I know enough not to think the two compare but they have a lot in common.
kt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chinese tractors

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-07          125706

The low prices are a direct reflection of the labor rates. Un-skilled/semi-skilled in some cases, but nonetheless cheap. You could afford to sell good stuff at low prices too, if you only had to pay your employees $42 to $73 dollars a month (http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/en/web/article.php?article_id=50226)

//greg// ....

Chinese tractors

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-07          125709

KT

You get what you pay for. I bought a Jinma and I got a lot more tractor than I paid for. I own a 2000 KIA sportage power windows, power mirrors, full size spare, 6 cd changer, leather. I now has 97,000 miles and is still under warrenty. It pulls my boat, trailor and takes me back and fort to work at 26 miles per gal. You can put 880 lbs of concrete in the back with no problem. The service dept. has been outstanding and has cattered to all my wishes no breakdowns. 6 of my friends and associates have also bought KIA. All this for $18,000. If you saw The report the other day where the american car makers were shut out of the top ten this was the first time ever. When asked consumer reports stated "that american car manafactures need to build better and more reliable units if they want to compete". At this time I do not recommend KIA for industrial use but they dont claim this. I would love to buy American but these imports are a tough act to follow. ....

Chinese tractors

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-08          125751

I wonder what the ratio is for failures of such products (whole companies also) compared to successes.

Chinese tractors

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-03-08          125786

another thing to consider is the chinese manufacturers have no overhead costs like insurance. They pay much less in taxes if any. They have no fees for disposing of toxic materials as they just dump it into a pit or the river. All of their capital equipment is running 24/7 to maximize return on investment. Spend $100,000 on a new machine or hire 3 more people at $.50 an hour to do the same job? Duh.

Another way to look at it is at the 2 chinese auto manufacturers that were at the big auto show in Chicago (I think Chicago). They were there to say they were coming to the US in 1-2 years. Except they ran into a huge snag after the auto show. They failed US crash safety tests by a huge margin. Not even close. It's easy to sell cheap when you have no money spent in design or safety testing. ....

Chinese tractors

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-08          125787

Iowa,

Your second line on the safety hits part of what I am not getting said, they may look a lot like but what little I have been able to compare that are missing such as you pointed out.

I know my bigger Kubota is a good tractor esp for the price it was. It was a few thousand less than Case or JD when I purchased it. Yet in a full comparision it was not the same in features. It should have cost some less and I was willing to accept not having those features for the lower price.

Now since then I have found some of those features would be nice and the cost to add them ...well it requires Kubota orginial parts.

So when someone says I can buy so and so brand so much lower it often means they are giving up something. It may or may not be important to them or they may not even be aware of the difference. Often it shows up in repair cost, life of the product or down time.

A couple of lines I learned years ago, there is a reason a brand name is a brand name and you will always pay for what you get.

Hey, I sometimes make the decision, I will not use this enough to pay for good quality, just need cheap.

Chinese tractors

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-08          125806

Iowa

You are correct the cheap part is the way they cut cost in the parent country. Jinma ran into emmisions problems. When Farm Pro got on the band wagon they were given a time line to correct the emmisions but they could sell the units already on hand. There were a lot of these due to prior knowledge of the cutoff. The latter units were to spec.

We must all remember the honda civic it was considered a piece of crap, little bitty engine, to small, little tires all around non american it is now the #1 on the top ten and americans are building them state side.

Cheap peice of junk needs to earn that name tag. Everything can be a lemon I prefer enexpensive to cheap. What ever is sold in this country needs to meet all safety and enviromental concerns the same a American products. Now we are back to our law makers carefull who you vote for. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login