Go Bottom

Stumble on thingy

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-03          148915

Dennis, what is a stumble on thing at the bottom of the posts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stumble on thingy

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-03          148918

As I posted in another Website notice:

I have added a "Stumbleupon" link at the bottom of each message that links to the Stumbleupon site.

Stumbleupon is a directory of favorite sites and pages, particularly Blogs, but includes other content as well. You need to register to use the service, and I believe you need to install their toolbar. From your perspective using Stumbleupon.com serves as a place for you to store sites that have your favorite content. So if you benefited from a discussion on Oil Viscosity on TP, Stumble This so you and others can find it again at a later date. It also helps others find Tractorpoint Content that you enjoyed!

In addition it is a free way for us to get more users to find the content on the Tractorpoint site.

The links will be to individual pages for the complete message thread, not the individual message. I have added the links on each message for ease of use for now.

One thing you should know is that you have to use the Stumbleupon links in the messages only. For Tractorpoint you cannot use the Stumbleupon "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" in the toolbar as the Tractorpoint URL that gets added to Stumbleupon will get truncated and not work correctly from the Stumbleupon directory.

You don't have to keep the tool bar to use Stumbleupon. After the initial install of the "Stumble Upon" toolbar you can turn it off in your browser, then if you want to add a favorite click "Stumble This" and you will be prompted for your login. Then you can add any comments about the content.

Stumble on thingy

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-06          149020

Have any of you tried this or find the concept at all interesting? ....

Stumble on thingy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-12-06          149022

Dennis, you lost me at the line that said "You need to register to use the service, and I believe you need to install their toolbar. "

Sorry, I don't mean to keep throwing cold water on your good efforts. I must now officially be a crotchety old fogey :) ....

Stumble on thingy

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-06          149026

Ken I knew you would say that ;)

Stumbleupon.com is a Google company now. In my opinion Google is usually very good at not invading your computer and has mostly been in concert with those of us that like a minimalist approach.

You don't have to keep the toolbar, you might even be able to bypass installation. As long as you have a userid at Stumbleupon you can use the service which allows you to indicate your favorite pages. This can be a great place to store a reference to the discussion about Murfs front loader fence pole edge and other things we have a hard time finding later.

It allows you to have a web based directory of your favorites so if you go to a work location without your own computer you still have it.

It gains additional visibility for Tractorpoint as the favorites are indexed and can be made public. It is a great idea for determining which sites have value rather than relying on search engines alone. And from my perspective if I could get people to use it, it would help our ratings to attract additional users.

And if you use it I will throw in a set of ginzu steak knives that never need sharpening! Now who is the old fogey after that commnet ;)

Dennis ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login