Go Bottom

Dimming of read messages not working

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-27          166559

It used to be that unread messages would appear as BOLD in message lists and, after reading them, they would then appear in normal text.

Now all messages are always appearing in BOLD, whether the message has been read or not.

Anyone else notice this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-27          166569

Not sure I have ever seen previous read message being lighter but for sure they are not now. Just pointing out as you are but some sites have options on your coming back to previous thread such as at first unread post or the last read post or such which I like.

Wish there was a another option on threads you have posted to other than no notice or the current (well have not used this option in a while so might not be current) of getting real long email back. There is a site that says notifies the same as TP but says if you don't click back on the thread you will not be notified again. Sounds great and it does work, sometimes. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-27          166576

Ken, isn't that a browser function and not a board code issue?

I use Firefox and it does that for me, sort of, the unread messages are blue, the read ones are green.

But it does seem that at some point (auto log out?) they go back to blue on me.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-10-27          166580

Murf, I think it's a browser function triggered by the html that is served up by a web site, perhaps with the aid of info stored in the local machine cache. Mine used to work like yours, then it stopped. Not sure when or why, thus the question. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-27          166582

Then I suspect it's at your end Ken.

Mine is still working just like always.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-10-27          166584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 166582
Then I suspect it's at your end Ken.Mine is still working just like always.Best of luck.

Thanks, if it's working for you I'm sure it's on my end. Argh. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-28          166599

You mean the thread title dims right Ken?

Just tested mine and it does not do that and yes it did. Trying to think back and I believe it may have happened when I downloaded Internet Explorer is it "8"? but the most recent one released about a month back. Don't hold me on that month, might have been two weeks or two months. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-10-28          166600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 166599
You mean the thread title dims right Ken?Just tested mine and it does not do that and yes it did. Trying to think back and I believe it may have happened when I downloaded Internet Explorer is it "8"? but the most recent one released about a month back. Don't hold me on that month, might have been two weeks or two months.

Yes, the thread title used to dim once the post was read. I don't use IE and haven't downloaded IE8 so it's not that but Microsoft is downloading updates all the time so that could have something to do with it. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-10-28          166605

The dimming of visited links is set in a style sheet that determines the color of the text to display when a link has been clicked on. I have had them set to display a different color for a really long time. It only lasts for the current session.

Firefox and IE7 both handle these tags correctly, I don't have IE8 yet, when I used the IE 8 Beta it blue screened my machine, so I have stayed away from it.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-29          166621

I am learning computers are a lot like being married.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-10-29          166622

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 166621
I am learning computers are a lot like being married.

It's probably more like catching an STD :)

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-11-15          166856

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 166605
The dimming of visited links is set in a style sheet that determines the color of the text to display when a link has been clicked on.I have had them set to display a different color for a really long time.It only lasts for the current session.Firefox and IE7 both handle these tags correctly, I don't have IE8 yet,when I used the IE 8 Beta it blue screened my machine, so I have stayed away from it.Dennis

Dennis, this does appear to be a problem with FireFox since it works fine on IE7. There's a bug report on it but they don't seem to be making any progress since it seems to affect all 3.x releases. The same problem happens on craigslist so it's not a TP problem.

Here's a link to the bug report if you're interested.

Link:   Firefox read link bug

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-11-21          166981

The solution is that Firefox history has to be kept for at least one day for this feature to work. Setting the history to one day fixed it. I had turned history off awhile back for reasons I don't recall and forgot to turn it back on. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login