Go Bottom

Welding Rods

View my Photos
DaveM
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-08          107533

I recently picked up a stick welder, (Lincoln AC225) to try my hand at some welding when the snow leaves and the weather is better. The last time I welded was in Trade School 30+ years ago. Some posts I have read talk about how sensitive some or all rods are to moisture. What do I do to keep them as dry as possible? What is a good all purpose rod for a novice if there is such a thing? I also just found some Lincoln 7018AC rods a local company is getting rid of. They are still all wrapped in 5# boxes with the celophane on them. Would these be a good all purpose rod to dub around with or should I look for something else. Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Welding Rods

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-08          107540

7018 is a good all purpose rod for welding low catbon steel in any position. The proper rod thickness needs to be considered for producing a good weld without it being a huge hassle. For welding structural shapes that are 3/16"-3/8" thick, use a 1/8 " 7018 rod for starters. Play with the machine setting until you get a good consistent weld pool and profile. There are a lot of different things that effect weld profile and fusion; travel speed, stand off, current, etc. Try to be as consistent as uou can with your trvel speed and electrode angle. You owners manual will give you some good guidance for the machine setting you should start at.

As far as moisture is concerned, the flux on the rod must be dry for it to burn properly and create the proper gas shield. Once a container is opened, it will need to be re-dried after 4 hours. If you keep the container closed and out of the moisture, you may find the rods burn fine without re-drying. To re-dry, put in a 250 degree oven for two hours before using. ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-08          107596

I like the 7018's for general use.

Also, I get along fine storing them in the o-ring sealed plastic rod containers that you can buy at Lowes or welding supply shops, TSC, etc. As long as the rods were sealed to start with, that is. The first 7018's I bought from the local hardware store are sitting out open in a big box. They caused me a lot of grief until I figured out it was moist rods.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
DaveM

2005-03-10          107704

Thanks for the info on the 7018 rods. At $5 a box maybe I ought to pick up a few more to practice with. I still have to get the electrician to hook up the 220 circuit for now. ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-03-10          107712

My stick welder is also a Lincoln 225AC. It is great.

Lately I've been practicing with my MIG, and am starting to get the hang of it. Works best on 3/16" and smaller metal, though. It'll never take the place of the big welder.

If you haven't looked at it, the Lincoln web site is a fountain of useful info. Downloadable files on rod selection, user's manuals, etc.

Good luck,
Bill

Link:   Lincoln web site

Welding Rods

View my Photos
DaveM

2005-04-02          109298

I finally got my welder hooked up yesterday, more of an expense than I had thought. I don't like messing with 220V so I had an electrician do it that I have used before. When he mentioned it would take #6 wire and he asked how many feet from the box to the receptacle I knew it would be more than I thought. $262 complete, but the guy does a good job, I didn't electrocute myself, and I believe the materials, double 50Amp breaker, wire, heavy receptacle, were pricy. Now when it gets better weather outside, and drys out I will try the beast. ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
plots1

2005-04-02          109309

#8 wire with a #10 ground would of been plunty big enuf wire for your set up and would of saved you some bucks. ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
DaveM

2005-04-02          109311

Plots1, Yeah you are probably right. I had a big roll of 4 - 12 leftover from wiring electric heat but he said that wouldn't be heavy enough. He had to run it about 55' from my box to the NEMA 6-50 receptacle and it looks the same wire as the electric range is on, so maybe the distance involved he played it safe.......with my safety and now his money!! ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
harvey

2005-04-04          109364

You did good to wire that heavy. My first home welder was a 225 ad/dc buzz box 20% duty...

Bought a new experienced 250 DC 100% with arc controls and CV circuits, 2 yrs ago. Needed heavier breaker. Heavy wire was already in only had to change the breaker and outlet. ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
BillBass

2005-04-04          109369

Here is a link to some basic welding rod info. ....

Link:   welding rods

Welding Rods

View my Photos
richardx

2005-08-23          115317

Some rods are low hydrogen type,,some actually have water as part of coating,[high silicos],,A 7018 rod is a low hydrogen type,,meant to have low moisture content in coating,,or it don't run good,,,these rods need to be stored in a heated invoirment after opening from container,,say about 250 degrees,,,now a 6013 rod,,which is made to be run on a.c. current,,can be left out....a 7018 can be run on a.c.,,,but runs much better on d.c.e.p. thingy ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
swan8706

2010-06-10          171476

Welding rods, or welding electrode, are metal rods that melt and become part of the strong bond that holds metal together. They come in a wide variety of sizes and metals. The metal is surrounded by "flux," which prevents oxidation of the metal being welded. Choosing the right kind for your job is very important because the wrong kind can weaken the weld.

SPAM removed by moderator Murf. ....

Welding Rods

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-10          171478

Nice info but you are not allowed to hawk your stuff here. SPAM. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login