Go Bottom

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
RichieC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-25          151670

Anyone here have any opinion on this welding unit? I am looking to purchase an arc welder for occassional use around the workshop. Northern Supply has it in stock & I am contemplating a purchase. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-26          151695

I have no experience with the Clark equipment but had a 110v Forney welder that I used for several years. It was adequate for material up to 3/16" thick; it would weld 1/4" but at a low duty cycle. You would have to run a couple of beads then let it cool down or it would pop the built-in thermocouple. It would use 6013 rods fine but didn't like 6011's. I built a utility trailer with it but still keep an eye on the welds.

Most welders aren't fond of the 110-v machines because of their limited usefulness; they are going to tell you to get a 220V AC/DC machine. The 110 machine has the advantage of being cheaper to buy and also the ability to use it anywhere you have an outlet. If you don't plan to use it on thick material you'll be fine.

I didn't find out until I bought a 220V Lincoln AC welder that the smaller machine is harder to weld with; you have to practice striking an arc without the electrode sticking.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-26          151697

Personally, I feel the Clarke (with an "e") is a way of the maufacturer to take advantage of the Clark Equipment name of old recogized for making quality equipment---even the logo is similar. That said, Northern is not the value-price house that they claim to be or give that impression or illusion. Tractor Supply sells Clarke tools so that tells a lot right there. Even Sears sells better quality!

I'd look in the classifieds for a cheap arc welder. If you're talking a MIG or wire welder, I'd check out the Miller or Lincolns at Lowes. Excellent quality for the price---which is just a little more that Harbor Freight (now THAT's some low-priced junk!)

Did you know that 4 or 5 car batteries in series (or is it parallel?) with regular welding leads and 1/8" rod will provide enough power to weld with? ....

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
RichieC

2008-02-26          151713

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMullens | view 151695
I have no experience with the Clark equipment but had a 110v Forney welder that I used for several years.It was adequate for material up to 3/16" thick; it would weld 1/4" but at a low duty cycle.You would have to run a couple of beads then let it cool down or it would pop the built-in thermocouple.It would use 6013 rods fine but didn't like 6011's.I built a utility trailer with it but still keep an eye on the welds.Most welders aren't fond of the 110-v machines because of their limited usefulness; they are going to tell you to get a 220V AC/DC machine.The 110 machine has the advantage of being cheaper to buy and also the ability to use it anywhere you have an outlet.If you don't plan to use it on thick material you'll be fine.I didn't find out until I bought a 220V Lincoln AC welder that the smaller machine is harder to weld with; you have to practice striking an arc without the electrode sticking.Good luck,Bill

Thanks Bill for the reply. Most of my work will be limited to repairs on my tractor & welding links to snowchains. Not planning on doing much fabrication if at all. ....

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
RichieC

2008-02-26          151714

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 151697
Personally, I feel the Clarke (with an "e") is a way of the maufacturer to take advantage of the Clark Equipment name of old recogized for making quality equipment---even the logo is similar. That said, Northern is not the value-price house that they claim to be or give that impression or illusion. Tractor Supply sells Clarke tools so that tells a lot right there. Even Sears sells better quality!I'd look in the classifieds for a cheap arc welder. If you're talking a MIG or wire welder, I'd check out the Miller or Lincolns at Lowes. Excellent quality for the price---which is just a little more that Harbor Freight (now THAT's some low-priced junk!) Did you know that 4 or 5 car batteries in series (or is it parallel?) with regular welding leads and 1/8" rod will provide enough power to weld with?

Thanks EW. I rather use arc than mig. I never had any experience with the 110V units but due to minimal use & portability, I have some interest. Still, I would hate to buy only to find out it is a useless piece of equipment.

In my past life [now retired] I worked installing natural gas underground piping systems and am used to Lincoln AC/DC mounted welding units. I wasn't a welder but worked alongside them so I have just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble.:-) ....

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
unit5alive

2008-05-10          153603

I have a Clark 101e 110v ,I never could get it to weld! , I should have returned it when it was new . ....

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-05-10          153604

As a followup to EW's comment about connecting car batteries (in series) to make your own welder:

I have a 1972 GE battery-operated "Electrak" tractor (still in almost daily use). It holds six golf-cart batteries, so the drive motor, as well as all the attachments (mower, trimmer, chainsaw, drill) all have 36V DC motors. The other accessory is an arc welder! ....

Clark 110 V Arc Welder

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-05-10          153605

As a followup to EW's comment about connecting car batteries (in series) to make your own welder:

I have a 1972 GE battery-operated "Electrak" tractor (still in almost daily use). It holds six golf-cart batteries, so the drive motor, as well as all the attachments (mower, trimmer, chainsaw, drill) all have 36V DC motors. The other accessory is an arc welder! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login