Go Bottom

Welder Specs and Opinion

View my Photos
Earle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-07          63323

Can anyone point me to a good place for researching welders before buying. I've never owned one but decided now's the time because:
1) my finish mower skid plate has been introduced to one too many unseen rocks/stumps
2) my utility trailer needs mounting points for removable sides
3) my daughter's car needs new catalytic converters and I've got two generic units that could be welded in place saving me big bucks
4) etc., etc.

I'm favoring a Mig unit in the 175amp range (Lincoln SP 175 plus or Marquette M021185), butplace a lot of value on somebody else's research and opinion.

Any guidance or opinion? (I'm already to duck for asking for opinion).

Thanks -Earle

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Welder Specs and Opinion

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-07          63324

There are some welding discussion here as well as links to welding boards. Been following this site for several years; lots of good info. in many areas. ....

Link:   Tool Talk

Welder Specs and Opinion

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-07          63334

There are as many differences in opinion on welders as there are about tractors on this board. In addition to Tool Talk, I suggest the board sponsored by Hobart. The discussions are completely unbiased. try No one seems the least bit obligated to say anything good about Hobart machines unless it is warranted. Also check out Agriculture Online. I will try to attach both links but not sure I can do two as I have not tried before. ....

Link:   Hobart

Welder Specs and Opinion

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63363

To answer your basic question...MIG is probably a good choice. A 175 amp welder is very capable and MIG is easier to learn and operate.

For the small stuff, 0.025 wire with CO2 gas is the ticket. You will probably also want some C25 which is 25% CO2 in Argon for better weld appearance. Larger projects would require larger wire for higher deposition rates. You should get drive roller and contact tips for 0.030, 0.035, and 0.045 wire. You probably don't need anything larger than a 0.045 setup for a 175 amp welder.

In a pinch, you can even weld aluminum with that kind of welder using straight argon gas, but you have to use a short torch cable/hose, keep it very straight, and use 0.035 or larger Al wire. If you do a lot of aluminum, you will want to get a wire feeding torch, but you can get by without it for very occasional use.

I have welders built by Lincoln, Miller and Powcon. Hobart also makes good equipment. There are other good ones out there. I don't have an SP175. Good Luck.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login