Go Bottom

Smithy brand machines

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-22          91610

I'm getting interested in buying a metal working lathe. Does anyone own or have any experience with Smithy brand machines? Thanks. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Smithy brand machines

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-22          91621

We have a Smithy Granite 1324 combination lathe and mill here in our lab. The 24" lathe seems to work well. I think the only negative was a tendency for the piece to move a bit when milling because you use the lathe carriage for milling also. And because the mill head is not stationary there is a bit more slop in it as compared to a single use mill.

All in all though it seems to be worth the money (about $2500 if I remember correctly).
Dave ....

Smithy brand machines

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-22          91622

You might also look into the lathes sold by Grizzly. They're all Chinese made so will probably be about the same quality. I haven't bought any of their metal working machines yet but have had very good luck with their heavy woodworking equipment. ....

Link:   Grizzly industrial

Smithy brand machines

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-22          91672

Shortmagnum; Thanks for the response on the lathe, I printed your info so as not to forget the model number, and I'll also check the Grizzly website. I just finished the first project from my new weld shop so I'll post some pictures in a day or two. Thanks again. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login