Go Bottom

Hydraulic Wood Splitter information

View my Photos
RELISH21
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-02          111878

This is some good information on building a hydraulic log splitter for a rear hydraulics on a tractor.Click on link below.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex1351?opendocument

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-02          111881

If you are planning on building one do youself a favor and do more research. While this info may work in some regions where wood is easily split and has no knots, it would only be an exercise in frustration around my region. I am not aware of any brand, even the lousy ones that use a 3" cylinder, and 4" is considered a minimum. Also I have never seen one commercially produced with only an 18" stroke. 24 inch seems standard. These are just the things I noticed in the 30 seconds I read it, there may be other issues with the design. ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-03          111918

I have a home fabricated splitter with a 3-1/2" cylinder with 18" stroke. Nothing has come close to stopping it...yet. The consideration when using tractor hydraulics is the amount of fluid needed to stroke the cylinder. Even after the cylinder is charged, it uses considerably more fluid to stroke out than what it stores in the retracted position. For some tractors, the fluid requirements limit the bore and/or stroke cylinder the tractor can accomodate without starving it of fluid. Check your tractor fluid capacity and make sure you have the fluid to properly stroke the cylinder without starving the system. A 3-1/2" cylinder at 2100psi will produce 10tons of splitting power. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login