Go Bottom

Wallenstein BX62 chipper

View my Photos
reason201
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-29          140825

I recently bought a Wallenstein BX62 chipper. I was not sure if my 4710 had enough ponies for this size chipper but I really like the BX62. So far I have been very impressed with the unit. The 4710 seems to power it just fine. I have been reducing an older burn pile to chips and have been surprised with how easy the BX62 is to work. All of the branches I am chipping are at least 3 years old.

I was surprised that I broke the shear pin in the PTO coupler chipping a 4-5 inch diameter branch. I contacted Wallenstein and the told me that the pin they put in initially is the softest they would recommend. (10mm X 50mm 8.8 hardness rating) They told me that it was acceptable to replace the pin with a 10.9 or 12.9 hardness rated pin.

I told them that the material I was chipping was fairly old which prompted them to suggest I go with the 10.9 hardness pin to add strength to the pin connection but still maintain a good safety margin to protect the equipment. They said if I was chipping green material moving to the 12.9 hardness pin should not be a problem. The 10mm X 50mm 10.9 hardness bolts were a bit tough to track down but I did find them and picked up a dozen for good measure.

The chips the BX62 is making so far with the older branches are about 1.5 inches square by 1/8th inch thick. There has been very little dust which surprised me after reading some other posts on the subject of chipping older wood.

I really like the new knife setup on the BX62, no adjusting they are fixed position and reversible. I am new to using a chipper so I am perhaps a bit more timid about jamming things into the feed chute than some old hands. Every long limb has been fed in and left to complete its entry with no further assistance. I got the standard feed chute rather than the hydraulic feed chute mainly due to cost. I do like the fact that the feed chute can be raised and locked up for transport.

I got mine from Iowa Farm Equipment, I was amazed how fast I got it. I ordered it at 2:00 pm on a Wednesday afternoon and it was waiting at our local freight dock in Nebraska at 7:00 am the next morning. Hook up was a breeze since the BX62 is JD Quick Hitch compatible, I supplied a top link pin and bushing and a set of lift arm bushings and that was it. So far this looks like it will be a very useful attachment.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login