Go Bottom

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
nikkibob94
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-04          142718

Hey! Great to find this forum.....from what I have read, we are not the only ones that really like this chipper but are also frustrated trying to work out the kinks.
Right now our problem is the chipper getting jammed with little twiggy stuff. The tractor is definitly big enough to run this attachment, and I am running full throttle. But when we run a bunch of small branches through it jams at the chute? Anyone else have this problem? We have taken to trimming off all the small branches but this is a PITA.
On another note, an FYI, a tech guy told me when we bought our chipper that the oil, in the gear box should be changed every time you use it for the first few times. Once the oil starts running clean without the metal filings in it then you can let it go for a while. We changed ours probably 4-5 times before it ran clean. Changing the main PTO belts is not that big a deal, we blew 3 belts on the first day. My JD dealer set me up with some belts, better than what was on there. But it is the bigger pulley wheel that you use to loosen and slip off the belts. The other problem we had was the box that the chipper sits on is not tall enough for a big tractor so we set ours down on some 6X8 blocks, that seems to keep it at the right level. We also have the problem with the feederbar and are in the process of getting it looked after, although the company we bought the chipper from has not been very good at replying about parts. I definitly recommend the chipper but don't buy it through KPX. If anyone has answers please let me know! Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-04          142719

First of all, welcome to our little corner of the web!

The problem you are having with the feed jamming is pretty typical of any smaller chipper without power feed, or with a weak power feed system.

Basically the problem is the friction created by the volume of material trying to go through the chute exceeds that of the chipper trying to pull it in.

Your solution of trimming the branches is about the only thing you can do without adding a bigger feeder that can chomp down and feed the stuff in regardless of volume.

Best of luck. ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-04          142722

Adding to Murf's input, I had a 23hp gas driven 6" Promark with hydraulic self feeder. Read: HAD. The smallest fork in a branch would stop it feeding. And if the branches were wet---forget it. The newer models have a double feeder roller system but I have no idea of that is much better. And be careful feeding by hand---if the branch gets sideways in the chute the chipper blades will beat it up and down which will result in sprained or broken wrists, and jammed or broken fingers.

If I ever buy another chipper the minimum it will be is 12" and be a chuck-and-duck type, not a disk-type like my old one. ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-06-04          142725

Are you talking about the discharge chute? It's a lot of fun to clear out, eh? The best you can do is keep the blades sharp and adjusted so they are in spec to the anvil. We had a problem with the anvil sliding back over time, increasing clearance and allowing bigger material to enter the discharge chute. After cleaning and adjusting we put loc-tite under the anvil before tightening it down and it seemed to help. Feed the material at a slower rate and feed only dry material and you should have less jamming. ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-06-04          142727

Pretty sure he means the input chute and throat. ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-06-04          142728

Oh. The Jinma I had jammed several times at the discharge chute but never at the input chute. ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
nikkibob94

2007-06-05          142735

Hey!
Thanks for the replies! I do mean the outshute, sorry I wasn't clear. It is a real pain to clean out. Thanks! ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
nikkibob94

2007-06-05          142736

I am not clear as to what the anvil is, could you discribe this part better for me so I can locate it? How do you know if it has slid back? Thanks!! ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-06-05          142737

The anvil (manual calls it a cutter bar) is mounted on the bottom of the feed chute right in front of the disk. As the disk rotates the knives swing down right in front of the anvil to chop material. If the clearance between the knives and anvil is too tight the knives will hit the anvil, too loose and bigger material can get through instead of being chopped. As dirt builds up in the bottom of the feed chute you may not be able to see it. Scrape in front of the disk at the bottom of the feed chute and it's there. You need to dig the sap out of the hex screw heads to get a bit in there to loosen. Once it's all cleaned up you can remove it, clean out the base, and reinstall with some non-permanent loc-tite to lock it down. Adjust the clearance by sliding it back and forth using a feeler gauge between the anvil and the disk blades to get it right. Rotate the disk to make sure it clears both blades. Spec is 0.010-0.030 but keep the clearance on the tight side, maybe 0.010-0.015. With sharp knives this will minimize jamming but that's not to save it will never happen. Do you have a manual? ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-06-06          142767

Oh, if it's the output chute then there may be a lack of fresh incoming "propellant" air. Mine had such force you could not hold your hand in front of it while running, which explained why it was so loud---like jet-engine loud. The intake screens have to be clear too, which is where it gets the air, besides the intake chute. ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
nikkibob94

2007-06-07          142772

Hwy all!
Got some great ideas on the chipper, thanks! Now just waiting for parts to arrive to see if we can get this puppy going again. Will let you know! ....

jamming chipper 6 jinma

View my Photos
dzimbric

2016-02-26          194631

There is a guy who has added rubber paddles cut from a used snowblower paddle to close the gap between the impeller blades and the housing. Search youtube for 'Make Wood Chipper Throw 2x as far and never clog' and see how much better it works.

I also have experienced problems with Jima clogging when I am running a lot of small branches with leaves and may go this route. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login