Go Bottom

Jinma 6 chipper feed mechanism problems

View my Photos
PETEinFL
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-29          151797

We all know this area is very weak. I immediately installed a new drive shaft & universals that now work fine. However, the phony metal-to-metal clutch [after maybe 10 hours] is now disengaging under any load. The edges are rounding off, which makes slippage even easier. This feed mechanism certainly needs to be clutched. It seems to me that clutching the drive belt, like on a riding lawn mower, would work better. However space is limited for an idler sheave. Have you had this problem? If so, how have you fixed it? Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-29          151801

I used to own one and probably didn't have it long enough to wear that out. Are you talking about the spider gears that engage and disengage by sliding into each other? If I'm remembering that design correctly it seems like a cone clutch would be perfect for that application. ....

View my Photos
RanchHand

2008-03-01          151812

I only have experiance with the Originial Jinma chippers.

The spring around the feed drum drive shaft is what provides the pressure to keep the clutch engaged on the factory drive shaft set up.

Maybe your replacement drive shaft set up is not doing that ??

I have not had that problem yet with all the chippers I have sold.

Sounds like there is no spring pressure holding it there or something is pulling it apart ??

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply ....

View my Photos
PETEinFL

2008-03-01          151823

Yes, my existing clutch is two steel pieces, both female, that engage 180° in cutouts on each piece. The drive piece is attached to the gearbox and the driven piece is attached to the universals going to the feed roller. The two pieces are pressed together by two stationary bolt heads mounted in a lever mechanism pressing towards the gearbox on the downstream piece. The lever has a spring attached that attempts to hold the lever towards the gearbox. There's about 3/16" of shoulder bearing on the two pieces. They come apart [override the spring tension]when any load comes on the feed roller. Each time they come apart, their shoulders get rounded off, and they come apart even easier the next time. Also the bolt heads pressing on the downstream piece get wore down quickly, as it's metal on metal, even greased up. ....

View my Photos
PETEinFL

2008-03-01          151824

You mentioned a 'cone clutch'. I'm not familiar with that. ....

View my Photos
PETEinFL

2008-03-01          151825

My spring is on the clutch lever, not on the drive line. This is how the factory had it, even though I've changed the drive line. Maybe what I need to do for a short-term fix is to beef up that spring. Glad to hear that you've not had my problem with units having their spring directly on the drive shaft ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-01          151827

Here's a link to info on cone clutches, but I wouldn't know where to start finding one that would fit this application. Seems like it would be perfect though.

The Jinma chipper I had used a two piece drive shaft with a spring around it to force that clutch assembly together and it didn't seem to slip that I recall. ....

Link:   Cone Clutch

View my Photos
icebite1

2008-05-03          153411

I just received a new Jinma chipper from Circle G. Took about 2 hrs to uncrate and assemble but spent another hour checking ALL nuts and bolts. Many were loose and some missing nuts also the chip plate had to be adjusted to the 10-30 thousants specified in the booklet, my plate was over 90 thousants off.(when you buy chinease you get what you pay for i guess) Anyhow i had a feed problem in the first halfhour of use. The feed drum floats at both ends and when i fed a 4"piece in the right side looking from the feed hopper (non drive side of drum) the drum raised at such an angle on that side it jammed up. Nothing disengaged and the drive disengage bar is a real joke .I had to quickly shut the pto from the tractor off. The feed belt did slip and caused a slight stink. Had to take an iron bar an raise the drive side up to unjam it. Checked everything out and looked ok. Fired it up and started chipping again. it again jammed when feeding a large piece on the right side. after repeating above process again it works fine. BUT i did not feed large pieces to right side again and had no more problems the rest of the day. The unit seems pretty heavily made so hope it lasts. It did eat up 5"dry oak and maple limbs and a lot of green also with no problem.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login