Go Bottom

chipper

View my Photos
Joe Baute
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-01          18436

Interested in your knowledge and experience with chippers able to chip up to 1 1/2 inch logs, not via PTO on tractors. Must be able to move on fairly rough ground. Thanks. Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

chipper

View my Photos
al

2000-08-01          18437

I HAVE A SUPER TOMAHAWK MADE BY TROYBUILT, TOWS BEHIND A LAWN TRACTOR, WE BOUGHT THE BIGGEST ONE MADE, EATS ANYTHING YOU CAN STUFF INTO IT, HAS DIFFERENT SIZE GRATES FOR FINE TO COARSE MATERIALS. GOOD MACHINE FOR MAKING MULCH FOR THE GARDEN, WILL FEED AS FAST AS YOU CAN PUT THE MATERIAL IN.

ALEX ....

chipper

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2000-08-01          18454

I have a couple - one from some garden supply that we outgrew quickly and one from Sears that will take up to a 2 1/2" or so branch [not up to the size I would call a log]. Down side of the Sears machine is that it does not have a clutch and you need to turn the whole mechanism [chipper wheel & hammers] to start it. Once going, it does a good job. I ran it for about 10 continuous hours and it worked fine. It did fall apart with in the first year and got an overhall of the chippers / hammers under warrenty.
I am sure there are others that are as good or better. ....

chipper

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-01          18455

Joe, if you really mean 1.5" stuff, almost anything should do it. Like Doug, I have a 5hp Briggs & Stratton powered Craftsman that I can move around by hand or tow behind a lawn tractor (or even my Kubota), and it's chewed up a fantastic amount of stuff up to about 2.5" in the last 5 years. ....

chipper

View my Photos
gary

2001-01-10          23259

All, I've got a Woodchuck chipper with it's own Ford engine. It's a WC-17 that takes 12" logs. Of course it takes trees/branches much smaller. My point is that a 12" log can't be feed in as fast as a 2" log. So, even though you don't have the HP to chip a 5" tree at a feed rate as a 1" tree if the throat will alow it a slower feed should do it. ....

chipper

View my Photos
Rick

2001-01-10          23264

Joe, I have a 20hp towable made by DR ( Country Home Products).It is rated at 4". Over 3 or 4 " is good firewood and Keeps tractor freed up. Prior posts have mentioned that ratings are relative to several factors, ie: hyd feeds. Mine is manual and works very well. Bird is right that 1 to 2" is easily handled by almost anything. DR will send you a comprehensive video on all thier products, I have several and recomend them for price and quality and service. ....

chipper

View my Photos
AZranch

2002-05-05          38180

I too have a DR chipper (18hp B&S twin) of the non road towable variety. It weighs in @348lbs and is not really difficult to move about by hand. My needs seem to be met by this stand alone...I have ~40 acres of former grazing land that has juniper and other softwood trees that had been tipped over 40+ years ago to improve cattle feeding conditions (takes 100 acres to support one beef cow around here).

My chipper will handle up to 4.5" material and with dry wood it takes about 1-3 minutes to get through a 10 foot pole (depending on the woods condition).

I ran it for the first 5hrs with no problems, just about to change the oil and attack the piles again. I tank of gas (44oz.)runs for 1 hour. I like the ability to free up other equipment / down time maint. won't slow the clean-up work.
Regards ....

chipper

View my Photos
mike levan

2004-10-30          99502

condition, age , price, location ?? etc ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login