Go Bottom

PTO Powered Brush chipper-How much power required

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-04-18          3035

I want to purchase a pto powered bruch chipper for my JD 4300 (25.5 pto hp).Vermeer manufactures a unit that will chip 6" material. It has a hydraulic feed system which should allow me to feed the material at a slower pace.Does anyone have experience with PTO powered chippers? Do I have enough power? Any information would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos

1999-04-19          3070

The 4" chippers without hydraulic feed seem to need a minimum of 18 to 20 PTO HP. Since a 6" is 50% larger it seems reasonable it would need 50% more power. That would work out to a minimum of 27 to 30 PTO HP. The power feed would require additional power beyond this. Seems like a 4" is more the size that would fit your tractor, they are available with power feed. Anything over 4" is firewood anyway. ....

View my Photos

1999-04-19          3087

It's only 50% larger diameter than the 4", but the area has doubled. So the power requirements at least double as well. I agree that 6" is firewood, notchipper-wood.....and I'm not so sure that 4" doesn't fall in that categoryas well! :-) Roger L ....

View my Photos
BS

1999-04-20          3099

You can calculate areas, volumes, and cross sections all day. They still don't replace good old practical experience. I have a JD 4200 (20 HP PTO) with a Patu DC-65 mechanical feed chipper. I haven't been able to jam anything thru the feeder that even made the tractor burp. Six inch ia probably the biggest I've tried. Make sure you get one with hydraulic feed like you said. ....

View my Photos

1999-04-21          3180

Here is what various chipper manufactures recommend for power.Danuser 4" 18-45 HPDanuser 6" 25-85 HPChippit 6" 25-60 HPRam 6" 25 HPBefco 6" 20-50 HPPatu 4" 15-35 HPValby 6" 17-50 HPValby 4" 15-40 HPGravley 6" intermitent 18-30 HPI don't think any of these are power feed. Power feed would require more power.The lower power ranges would give less performance. Good luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login