Go Bottom

Chippers again

View my Photos
Brad Smith
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-28          40765

I purchased a Brute TPH 183 Chipper Shredder from Northern-the chipper is made by Mackissic in PA. Had a lot of problems right from the get go-returned same to the factory for a refund. The people at Mackissic are great to deal with but I just did not have any luck with the product I had. I need a chipper for my JD 990-40 HP Trac.

Question-has anyone used one of the Type 6 Chippers from Bolton Power Equipment-the prices are really good and it is listed as a 800 lb machine.(www.Boltonpowerequip.com)

What about the Woods 5000?(my concern is the HP 15-30 rating)

What about the Patu DC 40?(same concern as on the Woods)

What about the Danuser 18P?

and finally the Befco Bushmaster?

I will not be using a chipper commercially but really would like reliability and ruggedness. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Brad

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chippers again

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2002-07-29          40775

I've got a PATU DC40. I find it to be a well made piece of equipment and it works very well. I've chipped a lot of brush with it, and haven't had to do anything outside of grease it. I'm still running on the original knives, haven't even had to sharpen them. I do open the "door" and clean out the debris in the fall before I store it to avoid rusting out the bottom of the unit.

As far as HP rating goes, I'm spinning mine with a JD750, 18 PTO HP. The tractor barely even notices that it's there. More horsepower isn't necessary, but certainly won't harm anything, if that's what you're worried about.

Chippers again

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-29          40777

Just a slight qualification about HP ratings: The specs for a PTO implement should indicate the size and grade of shear pin used.

If the tractor has more HP than an implement's HP rating, then the shear pin is supposed to protect the implement from the tractor. If the implement is too big for a tractor, the shear pin may have to protect the tractor from the implement--a broken PTO drive wouldn't be great. Anyway, it's important that a PTO shaft with an appropriate shear pin is used.

The shears I use range from tiny for my snow-blower to chunky for my posthole auger. If a dealer puts together a package or a shaft is supplied with the implement, then the shaft should be correct.

I looked at two used chippers—Made by Apache (known mostly in W. Canada for their sprayers). They were belt driven. If belt drives are 'over-powered,' I don't know whether the chipper breaks or the belts slip. Neither is a good thing to happen I suppose.

Chippers again

View my Photos
Brad Smith

2002-07-30          40812

Still haven't heard much about other brands-looks Patu is the route to go-unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any available DC40's at the moment-Oh well-the brush can wait!!
Thanks Paul and all! ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-30          40813

Brad, what failed on the Northern chipper? It would be good to know.
Some of us have given up on chippers that large. I ended up with a Troybuilt 10 horse that I rigged up to tow behind the tractor. It will handle inch and a half stuff with ease and anything larger goes into the woodstove. I've got about $1000 into it and it does what I need done. ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2002-07-30          40816

Brad - About 10 years ago I looked at some "Bear Cat" PTO chippers made by Crary in North Dakota. They had models with up to 8 inch capacity (with a gearbox rated for 60 PTO HP). They all were as solid as a rock, but not a minor investment. The notes in my brochure say the 4 inch, 30 PTO HP model was going for a bit under $4,400 at the time. No idea what the 8 inch chipper was going for. Anything big enough to have a gearbox in the 40 to 60 HP range might be overkill except for commercial use. ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
Brad Smith

2002-07-30          40829

Ref the Brute Chipper-unknown what caused the problem but it began by slipping the belt off the small top pulley and ended by braking the belt and jamming the pulley which caused? , the pto shaft to twist and bend. It is probably just a freak thing and the folks at Mackissic are really interested in correcting/identifying the problem-the people there are especially helpful and sincere in providing a good product so I suspect they will find the prob. In the meantime I still haven't purchased or decided on a make or model but it looks like one of the Danuser's in the 3000. range would fill the bill. ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
Chris R in IN

2002-07-30          40843

I have the Befco Brushmaster that I use with a JD 4400.
It works very well. ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-31          40851

The tractor bent and twisted PTO shaft? Seems like there's something here. Rocks have stopped my 12" auger cold more than a few times. The shear pins break.

I've never expect the shaft to bend or twist unless I put in the wrong grade of shear bolt. Properly set up, the pin should break long before the shaft, tractor or implement is damaged. I expect the same should be true even for something like chippers that tend have a lot of inertia in rotating parts.

As a matter of curiosity, the discussion here seems to indicate that the chippers have single belt drives. I'm trying to remember, but The 3" Apache choppers I looked at had at least triple belt drives and maybe four belts. I thought that multiple belt drives were sort of standard in 3" and larger chippers.

Chippers again

View my Photos
chipperman

2003-01-12          47411

Hello folks:
If you want the best hydraulicly feed pto chipper buy the Salsco # 824 or 826 you can see them at salsco.com
good luck folks
Jay ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
THinVa

2003-02-09          48947

I have also been shopping for chippers (as well as a suitable tractor). A local dealer, here in Va., gave me a brochure for Goosen Industries in Nebraska which carry PTO and gas Chippers. The CS1000 PTO mounts to any 3-point tractor with PTO 18 to 30 hp and can handle material up to 5" dia., it is priced at$2600. Has anyone heard of this brand? The dealer told me it was the same product that was once handled by BushHog. ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-10          48970

Sounds like it could be an interesting product. The used chippers I looked at for my 24 HP tractor were 3" chippers. The idea of chipping a 5" log with 18 hp sounds a little optimistic. The rating might mean that it has a 5' throat and you can get that sized log in there but very very slowly. Still, a 5" throat would let you nibble away at big stuff where a 3" model wouldn't give you a choice.

The used chippers I looked at had shredder sections where brushy material could be fed. I don't know if these units also have shredders, but when I was looking I thought I'd probably make more use of the shredder than the chipper.

Chippers again

View my Photos
THinVa

2003-02-10          49021

Sorry I was a little vague in my first reply on the Goossen Chipper.
Chipper/Shredder Specs.
Hopper Size: 34"x21"
Chipper Knives: 4 knives
Chipper Chute: 33"Lx13"Wx12"H
Chipper Capacity: 5" max.
Shredder: 36 free-swinging knives
Shredder capacity: 1" to 1.25" max. dia recommended

Power Req.
Gas: 18hp or 13hp Honda engine
PTO: 540 PTO at 18hp to 30hp
Does anyone know of a better deal? Are there any good websites for manuf./dealers of chippers? ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-02-11          49052

TH - I was really impressed with the larger "Bearcat" PTO models a few years ago. I checked out their web site and they've added models in the size range you're thinking about. They have a dealer locator on their site, so maybe you can come up with someone near you who has one to look at. Don't know about price ... but the Goosen dealer might be willing to deal a little if he knows there's some competition. Good luck. ....

Link:   Bearcat chippers

Chippers again

View my Photos
Jo

2003-11-11          68498

Hey Jay,

How do you know so much about Salsco Chippers? ....

Chippers again

View my Photos
chipperman

2003-11-11          68519

Jo
I have sold them for 10 years and I am currently the rep for NY, VT, NH and ME.
Good luck
Chipperman ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login