Go Bottom

enough HP for Chipper

View my Photos
Paul
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-03          4696

I've been looking at the Bearcat 72854 and Woods 8100 pto chippers; these are the same units both manufactured by Bearcat. They have a hydraulic feed. Bearcat recommends 22-60 HP and Woods quotes 25-50 HP. They have a 30-inch 275 lbs. flywheel spinning at 1500 rpm. I want the large chipper not so much for the full 8-inch capacity it can take but to minimize trimming branches on smaller limbs.I would be using the chipper on a JD 4300 HST which is 25.5 PTO HP. Both manufacturers when queried, say it should be fine.Any experience with this chipper? Is it too much chipper for this size tractor?Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

enough HP for Chipper

View my Photos
Rob

1999-06-03          4700

Along the same line....I too am looking for a chippper. Local dealer suggested about 10 PTO hp for each inch of diameter. Seems high, but that is at least what the big self powered chippers use (Vermeer, Morbark). Dealer suggested I just rent a 6" Vermeer for the big stuff, told me that my 4600 didn't have the oats to run anything more than 4". Others with more experience have posted that they have no problems with 4 and 6 inch chippers running off PTOs with a lot less than this 10hp per inch thing. I guess it depends on if you are going to run a 4"/6" log through once in a while or do it for ten hours a day. ....

enough HP for Chipper

View my Photos
Dave

1999-06-04          4714

I don't have any experience with those models but I do with stand alone chippers of that size. You probably need more power. Experience has shown me that you need 35 hp to feed a 6 inch hydraulic feed chipper. Even with 35 hp that means you can feed it 3 to 4 inch stuff all day and 6 inch stuff with care ocationally. Additionally look at what you are chipping if it is hard wood that has dried it takes a lot more power.If you plan to chip primarily 3 inch and smaller fresh hard wood and 4 inch and smaller soft wood with 1 or 2 larger stick per hour you will probably be ok. If you will be chipping larger stuff you need more HP.Good plan about the reduced trimming, but look at thoat shape and size more than chipper capacity. A chipper with a long narrow shoot but an 8 inch cap. will require more trimming that a 6 inch chipper with a sharply tapered shoot.I would demo the unit. If they won't bring it to you bring a truck load of brush to them.You may also look at a used stand alone unit and just tow it with the tractor. I bought my morbark with 500 hours on it for less than I could have bought a pto chipper, and it will last longer, I can use the tractor to tow brush to it, it will retain more resale value, and when I hire out or friend and family need it it is easier to more and I keep my tractor. ....

enough HP for Chipper

View my Photos
tom

1999-06-05          4738

I bought a danuser chipper for my 20 hp. compact it will do 4"+ no problem. It has a roll feed too which works good. I think they have a site at www.danuser.com ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login