Go Bottom

15 HP adequate for PTO driven

View my Photos
Rodger
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-05          60971

Hello gents,
Just bought a Kubota BX1500 - 15 HP, 2 cyl - sub compact tractor w/540 rpm rear PTO . Now I'm weighing the upsides/downsides of PTO driven chipper shredders vs gas powered.
It'll be used for chipping/shredding mostly alder limbs and branches up to 3" or so.
Is my tractor HP too wimpy to be practical for a PTO driven chipper/shredder?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Rodger

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-05          60974

I had a Troybilt chipper with a direct drive 10 horse Briggs that easily chipped the size material you are speaking about, and your tractor produces at least that amount of HP at the PTO.

That said, most PTO powered stuff will have a recommended HP range specified by the manufacturer.

Another thing to consider with your machine is the weight it can lift on the rear end and if it will lift it high enough off the ground to function properly.

Did you also get a FEL? Might need some sort of weight up front to balance tools on the back. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-05          60986

I spent a bit of time looking at chipper shredders. The vast majority will be too heavy for you machine. the smaller Bearcat model may work but I think you will be under powered for any manufactures spec. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-05          61033

The smallest Bearcat starts at a reccomended HP of 13 so you might squeek one on. It weighs approx 450 lbs. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-08-06          61080

Chippers are of a type of implement that you don't want to run with a marginally powered tractor. The same goes with things like bush-hogs, tillers and snowblowers to mention the top offenders.

I say 'offenders' because they are likely to strip the pto clutch out of a smaller unit without the operator necessarily knowing until it's too late.

Most PTO chippers use a combination of a heavy flywheel (for momentum) and chisel-like knives (for shaving the branches into chips rather than cutting them off) to accomplish their work.

The problem is that between the heavy load and the amount of noise these things make it is easy to miss the pto clutch slipping, I have seen the pto clutch completely burned out in a single afternoon on a brand new (rented) CUT.

Don't be deceived by the relatively low horsepower on stand-alone units, the gas engine running them is running at full throttle (2000+ rpm) then is geared down by 4:1 to run the chipper at 500'ish rpm, this means a 12hp engine is producing probably the effective equivalent of a very large (30+ hp) CUT.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-07          61127

Look at the Salsco line. They have one that will run down to 8 horsepower and it is three point hich. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-08-08          61220

I'll defer to your judgement & wisdom on small PTO chippers here Art, my experience with small ones is pretty limited.

However, if you ever need a lot of wood shredded in a hurry, stumps and logs included, my 'chipper' (pic # 4) is available ....

Of course the fuel bill to get it there and back, let alone running time, is a little heavy for a yard cleanup.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-11          61596

Murf, My wife calls me Timmy tool Time, I love power,5000 sq ft house 10,000 sq ft garage. I like bigger too, but for the most of what we sell I'm limited to smaller size construction but bigger farm equipment. I do like power feeds. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login