Go Bottom

Leaf mulcher chipper carts Trac Vac any good

View my Photos
bob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-31          6476

Need a leaf collection shredding rig to pull behind my NH TC33D with mid mount 60in deck. Only one Ive seen is the Trac Vac. their model CV880 is their biggest unit that includes a 2-3inch chipper. Considered their PTO model but it is same price and obviously less maintenance but the stand alone function the integral motor model is appealing.My BIG concern is this unit tough enough to be towed around my 18 acre farm over some rough terrain, etc. thanks for any replies..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-07-31          6482

In terms of lawn vacuums that also have a CHIPPER for SMALL limbs and brush, in additon to the Trac-Vac CV880 you mention (www.trac-vac.com) there is the EZVac 86CV (www.bluebirdintl.com). Both are trailers of about 42-45 bushels capacity with the vac-chipper mounted on an extended tongue. The EZVac has an addition feature----the "blower" is actually a small hammermill that pulverizes the incoming leaves and grass as well as the chips from the chipper. Both are driven by 8 hp engines. They are intended primarily for use on lawns--not rough terrain. The Chipper capability allows the user to grind up limbs and brush typically found around the yard. They are best suited for "occasional" chipping with lawn vacuuming being the primary use. They are not intended for heavy-duty chipping of brush and limbs day-in and day-out. You say you need to drive over 18 acres some of which are rough. Are you really vacuuming there? If your primary need is really heavy duty limb and brush chipping, then consider a PTO unit such as the Crary Bearcat (www.crary.com). It has a self-contained blower to convey the chipped brush to a pickup truck bed or to a trailer. It is not suitable for lawn vacuuming. Other manufacturers of very high capacity Lawn Vacs are Brouwer and Goosens. See www.yetmans.com to get to their sites. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-08-02          6521

Bob,I would highly recommend a solid rear mounted unit, preferably the 3pt PTO mount in your case. Having experience with Trac-Vac's"pull behind" units, I can tell you that stability is an issue. They make em to be used with a 12hp lawn tractor. This presentsa problem when your lawn is less than flat. Common sense tells us that something higher, than wide, has a tendancy to tip over.If you head the "enclosed red trailer" route. I would plan on a few modifications as well. Remove the skimpy 3" wide wheelbarrow tires,in favor of wider/beefier 6"-8" wide turf tires, and consider adding a set of inexpensive leaf springs, from the local Tractor supply store.Without some degree of suspension, a relatively even surface can make that little trailer bounce around like your going over speed bumps. "I" never had anything but good luck with the blower units or engines. Unfortunately, I can also tell you from experience,that forgetting to regularly remove the grass that sucks to the air intake for the cooling fins, will burn the motor up rather quickly! (Hint: Don't let your friends/relatives borrow your stuff!)I would also recommend cleaning the housing when used in wet grass or before putting it away for the winter. Wet grass will rust thehousing the same as it does if left on a mower deck. Another perfect use for used motor oil. Remember: "Wider is Better!" ....

View my Photos
Bob

1999-08-03          6552

Check out www.lawnvacs.com ....

View my Photos
art

1999-08-03          6566

trac-vac is the one. tapered sides for easy unloading and 6 blade impeller make it the best of the best ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login