Go Bottom

Whats your favorite thing you ve put though a chipper

View my Photos
kubotachick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-18          80292

Alright, anybody whos seriously in the trade has to have put something through the chipper, just to see what happens....whats your favorite item (and the ex doesn't count...we've all tried, they don't fit...for that job you need a tub grinder)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-18          80295

I HAVE a tub-grinder, and an ex...

It would have made too a big mess... LOL

Somone sat a chainsaw down next to a brush pile a few years back, a Stihl is a good saw, but the tub-grinder won.

We do however run old tires through on a pretty regular basis, on purpose. They don't stand much of a chance either, and they smell bad.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-03-18          80299

ha...my ex was a tree guy, and many a time i got some ideas...but yeah, they ran over a customers prize award winning show cat and got rid of the evidence in the chipper, less messy than you would have though. Note: I like cats...not my idea. That was not a good project ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-24          80991

Have you ever seen that macolm in the middle show on fox. They rented a chipper and started throwing stuff in. Lunch box, stuffed bear, toys, etc.

Me-tellphone book. That made a mess.

Have heard some stories. This one mexican threw a sunk into one and made the whole neigherhood smell. One guy had a employee try to kick something in and the chipper got his foot. On a whole tree chipper, a cable skidder didn't unhook one of the trees and the tree dragged the cable in. Which wrapped around the drum and dragged the skidder backwards and then stalled the engine on the chipper. Also a craweler loader with forks shovel a tree in a chipper and got the forks chopped up, the disk break and the transmission all screwed up. Just ask any landclearing company they will have some sort of story. ....

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-11-27          101163

and then there is the always favorite, feed your favorite tree guy through the chipper...but you know, they kick and bite so you have to get them drunk first ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-02-26          106867

On a serious note, I met a guy who's friend owned a tree service. The tree service guy brought his C&D chipper (chuck-and duck) to another friend's house to help him out. The homeowner's 4-year-old got too close to the branches ("What ya doin', Dad?"), got his coat snagged on a branch and was, well... Last I heard the owner of the chipper went out business. He was still a basket case over it and that was few years ago. That same guy I was talking to had another friend who had an excavating biz (like myself, that's how we got to talking about it). The owner had a guy in a 12' trench, it caved in on his worker. Owner jumped into the excavator frantically trying to unbury him and in the process decapitated him. The coroner ruled that the worker had died of suffocation first. He was fined big time by OSHA. Last I heard he was pretty messed up over too. ....

View my Photos
kubotachick

2005-03-03          107201

thats gross

View my Photos
JParker

2005-03-05          107299

I think I saw an episode of Monster Garage on this topic.

I've really had a problem chipping limbs and the like with a basic homeowner chipper. The limbs are never straight and the locus wood dulls the blades too quickly.

I really wanted a heavy duty, pto mounted chipper and tried to find one with a power feed. While "Googling" this info, I stumbled onto an article in the link below and some others on http://www.arboristsite.com

I wish it was an urban rumor, but it appears to be real.

I stopped looking for a big chipper and now burn my brush. I'll just buy the mulch from someone else.

-jp ....

Link:   Total Body Fragmentation

View my Photos
Art White

2005-03-05          107305

Lost a wedding band to one a number of years ago. No my wife wasn't attached! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-07          107427

That's why we changed over to big tub grinders a few years ago.

They will grind anything without doing damage to themselves, we even get the odd rock through without much but a racket.

They are also far safer since they are machine loaded, not by hand.

For a new 'oddball request' record this year we were commissioned to process tons and tons of ice cut out of a local lake to make snow for a snow-cross race. The weather had been so mild all the snow they stock piled for the race melted away.

In case anyone was wondering, BTW, tub grinders make shaved ice really well, we could throw one heck of a Margarita party.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-03-08          107509

Geeezz Murf - thats pretty cool. I commend the guy that thought of the idea to call & request it, Smart idea. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-08          107515

Actually Steve it was a giant PITA.

They didn't realize that when the ice was crushed the energy and force used, combined with the friction of the mechanism would cause a slight melting. As soon as those forces were removed it would all freeze up again, kind of like the track on a snowmobile parked after a long run without cleaning.

We had to run the tub grinder non-stop and then put it into a heated building, a hangar actually, to let it warm and melt. The amount of water coming out of that thing when it got into the warmth was incredible, there must have been ice everywhere in it.

Oh well, the customer is always right, and so is the invoice. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login