Go Bottom

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91313

I was doing more tree thinning over the weekend and came across a monstrous clump of blackberry vines. Many of the vines were an inch to 1.5" thick and maybe 50-60 feet long, snaking up and into the tree canopy overhead. I found that by cutting the vines off at the base and feeding them into the chipper the feed roller would do all the hard work of pulling the vines out of the trees and disposing of them. Pretty fun to watch.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91314

I have a son that eats pasta pretty much the same way. Not so fun to watch. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-19          91316

There are differences. The biggest danger spaghetti noodles pose is the danger of collateral sauce splatter, whereas if you get a blackberry vine wrapped around a leg you're pretty much gonna get dragged into the chipper. Those vines are strong and the barbs grab clothes quite easily! If anyone does this be sure to stay a good distance away from the moving vines. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-19          91324

Ken:
Sounds kinda real dangerous to me! ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-19          91325

We use a lot of that fluorescent orange plastic ribbon that land surveyors use to mark points, we use it to identify hazards or trees that need to be removed.

One of the guys had a brand new roll 500' roll in his pocket and it snagged on a limb he was feeding into the chipper.

When it's cut up into little tiny pieces and blowing all over the site like confetti it sure looks like a LOT more than 500 feet.

Best of luck. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-20          91501

This is about the best thread i've read in a while. sitting here LMAO!! Ken - I mean this in a good way but your like a little kid although I must say I would find it fun & entertaining to watch also. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-20          91502

Steve, it's like retribution! I hate those stinkin blackberry vines. Until now they've had the upper hand, grabbing my clothes and scratching the heck out of me while I sweat and curse, yanking them out of the trees and dragging them off to a burn pile. Even the vines that have been dead for years never seem to decay. Now I can get rid of them more-or-less painlessly. Take that you barbed pieces of SH**. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-21          91532

LOL!!! I hear ya! ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-07-21          91557

Hi Ken
While I love the imagery of the vine being pulled into the chipper by its own strength, there is a down side: One of the best ways to propagate blackberry (or most other vines) is vegetatively. In other words take a cutting and stick it in moist soil. Unfortunately chippers usually turn one vine into 32473879738 pieces (read cuttings) and given the right opportunity 178943789 cuttings will propagate new blackberry. Hope you cleaned up well.
Cheers AnnBrush ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-21          91558

Steve, if you think this thread is funny you should look back through the archives and search by "beaver", "boat" and maybe "shooting".

You might however not necesarrily want to do this with your 'significant other' or children nearby, they might get the wrong idea about some of us... or report us to the people at "Homeland Security".

Best of luck. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-21          91559

Ann, thanks for the warning. I was sort of afraid of that and I'm hoping as the chip piles decay the heat will kill them. If not, it's a lot easier to spray herbicide on fledgling berry plants on the ground than vines that are spread hundreds of feet through the trees. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-21          91565

Similar to the hazzards outlined in this thread, a contractor on the same site we were working at was helicoptering exhaust stacks to the roof of an industrial plant. The tag line for one of the stacks wrapped the ankle of the hook-on man and took him for the ride of his life, upside down, before the helicopter was radioed about the problem. The man was an ex army Ranger and was able to spin himself into position to grab another tag line for the ride down. He was brought to the ground without a scratch.

All accidents are preventable. ....

Another use for chippers

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-21          91598

I just searched under beaver & about 40 threads came up. I braused a few but this could take all night..can you think of maybe more detail of the thread names i'm looking for Ted? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login