Go Bottom

PTO CHIPPER RECOMMENDATIONS

View my Photos
EJB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-10-27          9161

I am sure this question has been asked (and answered) several times before, but does anyone have any recommendations for a PTO chipper. (my tractor = JD 5410, 65HP on PTO).I want at least a 4" chipper and am leaning towards a hyrdaulic feed. Also, will a 4" chipper really chip a 4" log easily? Without having any real experience to back this up, it is my assumption that if I really wanted to chip a lot of 4" material, I should probably get a 6-8" chipper, and that you would really only want to chip a 4" log once in a while with a 4" chipper....is my gut feeling correct on this? The chipper I buy won't be used commerically, but I do have an awful lot of land to take care of with it and I'd rather not undersize the chipper I buy. (But at the same time if a 4" chipper will really chip 4" wood all day long w/out complaining, I'd rather save the money!)Also, any good sources for prices on the interent for chippers...my searches have not turned up much.Thanks all!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Mark

1999-10-27          9172

I own a NH 1720 and ran a manual feed chipper that took upto a 6" branch. [ NH1720 has a PTO rating of about 25hp] The concept of the chipper is the spinning mass, not so much the horse power. I chipped two days straight, and stalled it once. When you think about 6" branches, you are chipping what I consider firewood. The other thing to consider is the condition of the material you are chipping. Is it green or dried out. I understand the hydraulic feed units are fantastic, and safe.Good Luck, and have fun!! ....

View my Photos
Roger M

1999-10-27          9180

I have had good luck with my 5" BearCat PTO chipper/schredder (model 70554). They are built like a tank for all day operation. You can see them online at http://www.crarycompany.com/bearcat/index.html. Most of the material I chip is less than 3" but I have reduced a 5"x8' fence post to nothing in 15-20 seconds just to see what would happen. No problem. My dealer tells me that the hydraulic feed is great if you are going to be shipping all day since it sicnificantly improves you throughput. You can be picking up the nect branch while the first is still chipping. The dealer also said the hydraulic feed is safer, but feeding the manual feed does not make me uneasy. The schredder is another story. The top load schredder can handle leaves and brush up to 1-1/2 inches. The problem is you need to use a push-stick to push the material past a fiber barrier in the schredder intake that is designed to keep the material from being pushed back out while it is schredding. This makes me uncomfortable working so close the the machine blades with a push-stick so I will proably purchase the optional leaf vac and blower attachment next season. BearCat also makes 6" and 8" PTO chippers (no schredder) both manual and hydraulic. ....

View my Photos
John R

1999-10-28          9192

Check out www.easternfarmmachinery.com they have prices and pics. ....

View my Photos
ejb

1999-10-28          9194

I would agree that just about anything over 4 inches is fire wood..except the acres and acres of dead and downed pine/hemlock that I need to gradually cleanup. A lot of this stuff is dead and dry so I would imagine that it would not tax the chipper too much, as long as it would physically fir into the chipping mechanisn.Anyway thanks for the response(s) everyone...how about some price comparisions or brand recommendations?...I know Woods makes good stuff, but they do tend to be expensive.Thanks. ....

View my Photos
dave

1999-10-29          9229

You will want to buy the larger chipper. While you have the horsepower to chip 4 inch material all day long, to feed 4 inch material through a 4 inch chipper will take a lot more trimming that it will through a 6 or 8 inch.Get Hydraulic feed!The idea that dead stuff takes less power is misguided. green take less power and is easier on blades.Consider a self powered tow behind. I has a 6 inch Morbark that I do use commercially. I bought it for less than I could have bought a new PTO model. I just tow it to where I want it and then use my tractor to feed it or haul away firewood. Additionally, when a friend needs it I can keep using my tractor. If you do insist on a PTO model look at used. There are a lot of used PTO models around here with very few hours on them. ....

View my Photos
David

1999-10-29          9261

With chippers bigger is better and there is no such thing as too much HP on a chipper. Most of the small PTO driven chippers get by with less HP by using a less aggressive knife angle. This results in the chipper taking smaller bites of wood (less HP but slower feed rate) it is also used in the hand feed chippers because the less aggressive angles reduce the tendency to quickly pull material in the chipper and are safer for hand feeding. Hyd feed is nice because if the manufacturer did his job the feed rate of the material is designed to match the chipping capacity of the chipper and gives an even feed of material without bogging the driver power unit. I have worked on 1000 to 2000 HP whole tree chippers in chip mill applications. These machines have a disc weight of about 40,00 lbs and can reduce several 8-12" butt diameter 50ft trees to chips in about 5-7 seconds. It pretty fun to run machines like this. Most chippers are designed to chip greenwood only. Most chip mills will not chip anything that is old and dried out. Dry wood will dull your knives very quickly, espically hard spiecies like oak and hickory. The water in the green wood acts like a coolant and lubricant and makes the knives last longer. You need to figure on sharpening knives once per day if you chip all day. Buy extra knives, so you can change them and sharpen at your convience. But by all means be careful a chipper is one of the most dangerous pieces of equipment made. We have a Bush Hog PTO driven chipper in stock and would be happy to quote one to you. For more info contact us Affordable Equipment 864-859-2623 or email DPEQUIP@aol.com ....

View my Photos
Eben

1999-11-09          9563

Concur with Dave and David re hydraulic feed. Safer and lets you move brush while chipping. I have a Vermeer 6 in PTO chipper standard with hydraulic feed I run with a JD 1050. Had to build an adapter to lower lift pins so I could raise it high enough to get up a trailer ramp. The weight is all the 1050 wants but it does it. 4" is a realistic size for pine or other non firewood as long as the knots are trimmed closely. I have jammed stuff but the reversable hydraulics generally make unjamming a cinch. Hydraulic feed rate is easily adjustable so you can adjust for size material you are chipping. I got the PTO unit as it was one less engine to maintain and my shade tree is sort of small. I have been quite happy with mine as got a good deal when I bought new. ....

View my Photos
hanshu

1999-12-04          10633

My dad has a 40 pto Hp John Deere with Woods brand chipper that will take 6" material; additionally, it has hydraulic feed. We use this unit alot and have had good luck with it. It jammed once but had the dealer increase the hydraulic pressure and now it is unstoppable. We like it alot and recommend it. We leased a large Brush Bandit and that was truly the ultimate. It was a tow behind model with a 24 hp motor and if you could possibly lift it to feed into the chipper it would make it into saw dust! Loved it but not as versitile as a tractor mounted unit; cant get in down to a creek bottom for instance. I would not own a chipper without hydraulic feed for 2 reasons. 1) Safety 2) hydraulic feed is more efficient.Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Graham Slieker

1999-12-31          11627

Hi,

Perhaps you might want to look at www.boltonpowerequip.com We carry a 4" and
a 6" woodchipper. There have power feed rollers and clutches. We believe they
are very competitively priced..

Regards
Graham ....

Link:   

Click Here

Picture Link

View my Photos
Reginald W. Lamson

2000-01-01          11638

I'm running a Danuser 6in. chipper with a 32hp tractor.The chipper has belt driven feed drum instead of hydrolic and works great.I first bought a 4in. Bearcat with manual feed and it was a pain in the a-- unless i was chipping nice strait limbs which was not often.I'm usually clearing brush,around here that means Honeysuckle,multifloral rose,Maple, apple,etc.If you really want to get cut up,try feeding long multifloral limbs into a blade grabbing manual feed chipper.Beleave me,you will get beat up a lot less with an auto feed model either mech. or hyd. driven.And like someone else said,the speed control makes a big difference.My tractor stalled a few times with the 4" but has never bogged down with the 6".Also get the largest unit you can aford.The wider feed shoot makes chipping hard,crooked brush much easier.
p.s. the danuser went for about $4500.new. regl ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login