Go Bottom

PTO Chippers

View my Photos
Jhnn325
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-28          97312

Anyone using Salsco Chippers? I've heard good things about them. Their web site is pretty impressive and I've received literature, jusst was wondering if anyone has an opions. I need something in the 6" capacity range.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO Chippers

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-28          97318

I don't know about the Salsco line in particular, but I do have a lot of experience with chippers, big & small, PTO or self-powered.

As a general word of advice, take the manufacturers HP requirements with a grain of salt, the spec.'s usually says something like "MINIMUM Required PTO HP" that is not to say that it won't run on that amount of power, but it sure won't want to do MAXIMUM work on MINIMUM power.

I had a look at their website, when I got to the part about a 6" chipper and they say all you need is 25hp I had seen enough. My little chipper at home (see my pic. # 12), is a 4" capacity PTO-powered, manual feed model, which is rated by the manufacturer to run on as little as 15hp, but they also say that to chip 4" material you need a minimum of 35hp. I think that is still a little light, my Kubota is rated at about 40 PTO hp and it's still working pretty good on bigger stuff. I have run a 6" chipper on a 35 PTO hp machine, I would be nervous of burning out the PTO clutch doing anything bigger than about 3" in it.

Best of luck. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login