Go Bottom

Replacing Wood Stove Door Gasket

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-10          149158

Well my daughter thought she was being helpful when she loaded some more wood into the stove while I was out.

But when some hot coals slipped onto the door edge instead of sweeping them into the little coal pan and dropping in the stove she opted on just closing the door gasket right on the hot coals.

Well next time I opened the door the gasket had melted and bonded to the stove causing the gasket to be pulled off the door. Nice!

I bought the gasket and stove cement. I did not realize that gaskets come in black and white and that black is more expensive. Only tricky part was they tell you to only use enough gasket cement in the groove to hold the gasket in place. That's actually quite a bit of cement. It was pretty neat how Jotul terminated the gasket on the door under a heat shield to prevent any door air leakage.

My daughter is at an age where she can be very helpful but does not listen so well. Parenting = saying the same thing over and over until they change their behavior :)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-10          149165

Dennis, do yourself a favour, if you don't already know, take the door off the stove to replace the gasket.

Carefully lay it face down on an old towel and be sure to get all (that you reasonably can) of the old cement out first. After the new stuff is in and the cement is set up enough to hold it in place, put the door back on and latch it. That will put enough pressure on it to ensure a good bond.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-10          149169

Yes Murf that is how I did it. I had a very small amount of cement ooze out after I compressed it on the hinge, and just wiped it off.

The test Jotul suggests for testing the seal is to put a dollar bill, (US as those Canadian dollars are worth more ;) ). If it slides out easily you should replace the gaskets, check in several locations.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-13          149268

If it fails that test with a Cannuckistan dollar you have a real issue......

It's a coin about 1/8" thick. :(

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-13          149270

I have been going to Toronto once a year now for a couple of years on business. I try to never get any Canadian currency and use my credit card for everything. Now that you mention it I remember now that the one time I did, I wound up with a bunch of coins that made me favor one side as I walked ;) Made me thankful for credit cards.

I almost never use currency here at home for anything as well. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-13          149271

Dennis are you going to be involved in the big class action suit with the credit card companies that were skimmimng some of the exchange rates? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-13          149273

I know what you mean, the exchange fees for cards happen autoMAGICALLY ! But on a short trip changing currency is ten times more expensive.

The skimming won't impact me as my trips were short and quick. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login